When Logic and Proportion Have Fallen Sloppy Dead
Recently I made a post about the infiltration of psychology into the church. It is interesting to see how the ‘study of the soul‘ has been hijacked by those who do not know God leaving many to wonder whatever happened to our ability to cope with life apart from the onset of a Wundtian-Freud juggernaut. To be sure, one can learn much from the field of behavioral studies, but no one knows more about why we do what we do than God, the author of the soul.
And what is alarming is the percentage of believers who think that Scripture is insufficient in the area of soul care. For many life has become immensely more complicated than in the ‘old days‘ and they are so glad that someone has come along and provided help for them in dealing with life’s plethora of disappointment, strife, and challenges. Many have been persuaded that God’s Word falls short when it comes to the area of how we are to live and what causes the troubles we find ourselves in. James chapter four has apparently lost its shine and has been replaced by Dr. Phil chapter eight.
The schemes of the devil are hard at work attempting to convince God’s people of the same Eden lie, this time, cloaked in the wrapper of psychiatric medicine. What has been touted as scientific medical truth is the idea that our depression and anxieties are really disease and chemical instability. According to the mainline agenda, at the root of our life problems is simply poor fertilizer. All we need is to find the right medication and our lives will be manageable and our days filled with goodness.
Well, certainly taking any substance that alters your biochemistry can make you feel better about your existence. I remember being intoxicated with a variety of substances and feeling as though my life was much better than it really was and being so stoned that I could hear things in music much more clearly than I could when I was un-stoned, yet I don’t think I’m going to advocate a life of Jello shots or instituting a Bong Music Fest anytime soon.
And so it is that we are left to meander around a confusion tarp by braille written by pharmaceutical peddlers and find ourselves beating a blind man’s stick against the head of sensibility. There are known troubles with psychiatric medications related to violent aggression, murderous thoughts, depression, and suicidal tendencies and yet these ‘medications’ are taken by millions of individuals daily.
[NOTE / WARNING: I am not a medical doctor nor am I suggesting to any of you who are on these medications to stop taking them without qualified medical attention. If you are convinced that you should get off of your medications it is imperative that you do so under the strict supervision of your doctor. Failure to do so could prove extremely dangerous.]
Here are some examples of the dangers of antidepressant medications and the purposed covering up of these known risks and unknowns by the drug manufacturers who produce them.
- Some psychiatric drugs, such as the stimulants and benzodiazepines, cause changes in the brain that lead to dependency and withdrawl problems. There is increasing evidence that most or all psychiatric drugs cause sufficient withdrawal problems to interfere with efforts to stop taking them. (Breggin, 1997; Breggin & Cohen, 1999 – Ethical Human Psychology and Psychiatry, Vol. 8, Number 3, Fall/Winter 2006)
- There are well-documented cases of individuals who suffer from a substance-induced mood disorder with manic features or from serious compulsive criminal violence and suicidality. In all these cases the suicidal, violent, or criminal behaviors were unprecedented in the individual’s lives prior to taking psychiatric drugs.
- Serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants and benzodiazepines such as alprazolam (Xanax), Fluoxetine (Prozac) and sertraline (Zoloft) have been linked to murderous, suicidal, and psychotic behavioral problems especially if taken in combinations.
- Glaxo SmithKline (GSK) systematically hid and manipulated data concerning Paxil-induced suicidality in depressed adults. See a report here.
- The number of suicide attempts on the antidepressant Paxil has been under-reported and the number of suicide attempts on placebo was inflated. GSK hid the incidence of Paxil-induced akathisia (agitation with hyperactivity) and stimulation both known risk factors for suicidality and violence.
- In the case of Lacuzong v. GSK, the widow of a man who drowned their two children and himself in a tub after taking Paxil for three days was “resolved” to the satisfaction of the family; the drug company denied all allegations. You can read the Lacuzong Report here.
- Remember Andrea Yates? The woman who murdered her five children one by one in the family bathtub? She was on Haldol and stopped taking it abruptly just before her psychotic killings. She was also taking two other antidepressants which included Effexor. You can read about more cases here.
- Drug companies settle almost all legal cases brought against them in order to seal incriminating scientific data. This deprives the FDA, medical profession and public of critical information on drug safety and efficacy.An example of this is the June 15, 2005, Eli Lilly & Co. court settlement. Eli Lilly is the manufacturer of Prozac, Methadone, and the antipsychotic drug Zyprexa. The settlement included an estimated 8,000 lawsuits pending in the United States concerning Lilly’s alleged failure to warn about the risk of Zyprexa causing diabetes. The company agreed to pay $690 million but denied any wrongdoing.Under the rules of the settlement agreement Eli Lilly will be allowed to seal all of the critical documents involved in the case making them unavailable to other attorneys, health professionals, or the public. If they were truly sure of their innocence they should make public all of their internal documents relating to how much they knew, or didn’t know, and how much they still know about Zyprexa causing diabetes and pancreatitis.
What are we to make of all of this? I would suggest that there is enough evidence out there to say at least this much: Do not take these medications and if you are currently using them, seek to get off as soon as possible. (Under proper medical supervision) We shouldn’t go chasing rabbits when we know we are going to fall. There is no doubt that the White Knight is talking backwards and we should avoid feeding our heads with the wrong food. The labels of bipolar and manic and depressed and disease have been glued to many suffering people who have readily accepted what the so-called medical community have served them but the expiration dates are foul. Scripture tells us that we wrestle against the schemes of the devil and not against people. I would encourage the church to rise up beyond the limits of a 20/20 news report and even this blog post itself and begin to critically examine what I believe to be one of the major scams of the 21st century. Have faith dear saints that God’s Word is sufficient for our troubles and it is free of hookah smoking caterpillars.